To ensure the safety and security of people during the upcoming Zamboanga Hermosa Festival, Mayor Beng Climaco has issued an executive order prohibiting parking of motorcycles, 4-wheel vehicles, unauthorized flying of drones (except by the PNP and military), bringing of backpacks, wearing of bull caps, waistcoats/chalecos and jackets in certain areas in the city of Zamboanga from September 28 to October 13, 2019.
The prohibitions are part of the stringent proactive security measures for this year’s grand Hermosa Festival in honor of the feast of Nuestra Señora La Virgen del Pilar on October 12.
In her Executive Order No. 502 signed on Sept. 20, 2019, Mayor Climaco has instructed the police, Task Force Zamboanga and other security forces to impose those prohibitions during the following activities:
- “Smoke Out Zamboanga-Grilled Food Fiesta and Zamboanga Grand Midnight Sale on Sept. 28 to Oct. 12 from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m. at Jardin Maria Clara Lobregat Butterfly Garden and Entablado de Maria Clara Lobregat Covered Court adjacent to the Pasonanca Barangay Hall from its junction with Pasonanca main Road to its junction with the Pasonanca Public Swimming Pool Road;
- Zamboanga Hermosa Festival Opening Salvo featuring the Inter-Barangay Bandoreal Competition and Pink Parade on Oct. 1 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. JFE Memorial Sports Complex in Baliwasan. Prohibited areas: Mayor Climaco Avenue-Mayor Ledesma St. (fronting Bureau of Fire Protection) straight to Zamboanga-Labuan Road, left to end of the sports complex;
- Novena Masses on Oct. 3-11. Prohibited areas: N.S. Valderrosa St. to Fort Pilar Shrine including Paseo del Mar;
- La Gran Procession de las Santas Imagenes on Oct. 5 at 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Prohibited areas: Our Lady of Purification Parish Church in Barangay Sta. Maia, right to Saavedra St., left to De Leon St., left to Sta. Maria Main Road, left to Maestra Vicenta St., right to Saavedra St., left to end at Our Lady of Purification Parish Church
- Regatta de Zamboanga on Oct. 6 from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m. Prohibited areas: Whole stretch of R.T. Lim Boulevard Rotonda to San Jose corner Alejo Alvarez St. going straight to Varela St.
- Parade of Lights (Float Competition) on Oct. 11 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Prohibited areas: Zamboanga-Labuan Road (fronting HMDF office), straight to Ledesma St., right to Mayor Climaco Avenue, left J.S. Alano St. to City Hall grounds;
- Street Dance Competition and Fiesta Main Program on October 11 from 7 a.m. to12 p.m. Prohibited areas: P. Lorenzo St., left J.S. Alano St., right Climaco Avenue, left Mayor Ledesma St., Zamboanga-Labuan Road, left Normal Road to end at JFE Memorial Sports Complex in Baliwasan.
- Grand Procession on Oct. 12 from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. Prohibited areas: Metropolitan Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception at La Purisima St., turn left Gov. Alvarez St., left to mayor Jaldon St., straight to Climaco Avenue, left J.S. Alano St. all the way to Fort Pilar Shrine.
The chief executive has tasked the Zamboanga City Police Office Traffic Management, the barangay chairmen of Pasonanca, Sta. Maria, San Jose Cawa-Cawa, Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 3, and Zone 4 to strictly implement her order to efficiently and effectively address the traffic situation throughout the festival.-(Vic Larato)