HomeNewsArrest of SWM violators resume

Arrest of SWM violators resume

  • PDF
  • Print
  • E-mail

Authorities will resume apprehension of violators of the solid waste management ordinance this month.

Following the conduct of information drives for businesses in the central business district and barangays, Office of the City Environment and Natural Resources (OCENR) Public Services Officer Rodrigo Pagotaisidro said the office will intensify efforts, in coordination with police and enforcers as well as partners and stakeholders, to go after violators of the ordinance.

“We already completed the information drive in business establishments in the central business district. I think by this time, by January 2018, we can already move on as to who will be violating this ordinance and we can already issue out citation tickets,” Pagotaisidro said on Monday, January 8.

Pagotaisidro reported that some 58 apprehensions have been since the full implementation of the ordinance last year.

“We stopped towards the New Year period, and the first week of January, and we will start [again] this week because we went to the barangay level,” he said.

The OCENR has urged barangays to begin submitting names of barangay officials, leaders, tanods, and volunteers, who will be deputized to enforce the solid waste management ordinance in their respective areas.

Local businesses, on the other hand, were likewise reminded of their responsibilities in maintaining cleanliness in their areas under Ordinance 2016-176.

These responsibilities include maintaining the cleanliness of areas that is within a 5-meter radius of their establishment, providing garbage bins and receptacles, refraining from open dumping, paying the Php 50/month garbage collection and disposal fee at the barangay level, and coordinating with their barangays for the proper collection schedule. (Jasmine Mohammadsali)